Friday, July 12, 2013

I am Maggi Bowers

In my communications class we were supposed to make a list of our traits. Things that tell people about who we are then determine how they affected our communication. We were supposed to give an identical list to someone close to us and write a report about our communication style. This is that report.

The first thing I noticed with this list is that I listed mostly positive traits. So apparently even though I am incredibly hard of myself I have high self-esteem. Just one more contradiction in the world of Maggi. But, we are here to talk about my communication skills not my many contradictory personality traits.

I gave this list to my friend Kana because I don’t have one of those significant others you hear so much about. The things on my list were dedicated, responsible, funny, caring, compassionate, loves to read, intelligent, passionate, busy, resilient, a survivor, workaholic, weird, empathetic, has a short attention span, is easily bored, and stubborn. I’ve always believed that my best traits are also my worst and vice versa. It all depends on the circumstances.

Dedicated and responsible can be bundled together. As a nurse I receive medical questions from friends and family regularly. I believe that these traits affect my communication in that I always make my friend’s and family’s questions and problems a priority. As my friend said, “You always get back to me when I have a question; you take every question seriously…so even something that isn’t a huge deal you make it a top priority to answer ASAP.”

I am funny. There’s no doubt about that. It is one of the first things that people say when they describe me. I always try to keep things humorous when I am communicating. I like intellectual humor though. Because I am intelligent. Which goes along with my love of reading. All of these things make me witty and well-spoken. That gives me power. The power to help others. By making them smile or through the knowledge I have as a nurse.

I am caring, compassionate, and empathetic. This helps me to understand when someone doesn’t understand and to figure out a way to help them. For instance breaking the medical jargon down into understandable speech. I saw a cartoon the other day where a nurse was standing behind a doctor holding a sign that said “Just nod I’ll explain when he leaves.” This is a perfect example.

I am passionate. I jump head first into everything. If there is a topic I feel strongly about I can talk about it competently and intelligently from the lofty perch of my soap box. My brother loves to make me mad because the madder I am the more passionate and articulate I get. I will expound on whatever the topic is until I notice the mischievous twinkle in his eye.

I am busy and a workaholic but as my friend says never too busy to answer questions or just check in to make sure everything is ok. I believe this makes me blunt and straight to the point. I don’t have time for a lot of hemming and hawing. I also have a short attention span and I am easily bored this means I don’t have a lot of patience for the “social niceties” like small talk. I don’t have the patience for shyness or fear.

I am weird, resilient, stubborn, and most of all a survivor. I may make communication faux pas. In fact I guarantee that I do. I don’t think it would be possible to have my personality and not step on a few toes. But, I have survived things that most people can’t even begin to imagine. I may or may not be stronger for it but there’s nothing in life that will ever be bad enough that it would stop me. Oh, I slipped up and called someone by the wrong name? Oh, well. I actually do this on a regular basis. I will make a joke about it and we can laugh and move on, or not. Your choice.  But, I promise you I will make you laugh. And if it’s something I think you need to know I will be stubborn enough to make you listen whether you want to or not. You don’t have to take my advice but you will hear it.


All in all I have a strong personality. But, everything that I do. Every decision I make. Every day that I get up and work then come home and work some more. All of that comes from a place of caring. Because I am Maggi Bowers.

No comments: