Monday, July 22, 2013

A Brief Peek Into My Life As A Reader

I am a reader. I am a crazy reader. I used to get in trouble for reading so much. What can I say my stepmother has issues. Apparently she felt that bringing a book to the dinner table was wrong.Or rude...I don't know I was too busy reading to actually pay attention.



I don't remember a time when I didn't read. No one is really sure how I learned. I suspect it was related to sibling rivalry. As far as my mom knows I just started reading one day. The day we were driving down the road and I read a billboard. I was three. She almost wrecked the car.

I had a seventh grade reading level in kindergarten. So I was a free thinking, mouthy, intelligent, smart ass (basically me now just pint sized) five year old who could read better than the majority of high school graduates. My kindergarten teacher LOVED me....not. She was an evil old bat who told me there wasn't a Santa Claus as a punishment. Teachers never could handle me.

One of my math teachers brought my dad in for a conference because I was reading in his class instead of listening to him. I was in that conference it didn't go well for him. I had straight As and I wasn't disturbing anyone, I still don't know what his problem was. Actually, I do know. He didn't like that I was tutoring my classmates. Anotther problem I've head more than once. but, we'll get to that.

Around that time I had an English teacher who had us read for a portion of each of her classes. So like the last 10 minutes we would free read. And once a week we went to the library. She had us write down every day how much we read in that 10 minutes. She came to me and asked why I was reading a different book everyday. I told her that I read about a book a day so every class I would have started a new one. She told me to write down all the time I spent reading every day. She only asked me to do that once.

And all of this leads to the reason why I am technically a high school drop out. Why I am a statistic. The first day of my Junior year the school counselor announced to my mother that I didn't need to be there anymore. That I intimidated the teachers because I was teaching the classes. I held tutoring sessions in the halls between classes and I guiess was making a general nuisance of myself. So the powers that be got together and decided that since I didn't have enough credits to graduate I needed to drop out, get a GED, and go directly to college without passing go and no $200 for me. Maybe that's why I ended up working instead....

Did I mention that I am a reader?

No comments: