Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Z: The Conformist

My son Z is a boy scout. He is very very good at being a boy scout. This past week at camp he was asked to be a part of the order of the arrow. I have absolutely no idea what that means but it's apparently a big deal. He is a joiner. He loves being a part of something. He loves the uniform and unity. The conformity of it all.

I have no idea where he gets this from. I am not a joiner. I am not a conformist. I don't even own a uniform and I don't have the slightest interest in being a part of something. I suppose if you only looked at my surface you'd probably think I was a typical soccer mom. I don't have a multi-colored mo hawk. I have very few visible tattoos. But, I am that way because I choose to be not because someone tells me too.

I am so proud of that kid though. He has made a choice as well. He chose to walk the path of the conformist. Despite the fact that I don't and I won't . He is unfailingly polite. He has the biggest heart of any boy I've ever met. And one day he will be great.

"Great at what?" you ask. I have absolutely no idea. I know that he will be a great man. I know that he will be a success at whatever he chooses to do. And, I can't wait to see the man he will become. Well, yeah I can. I keep telling him to stop growing up but he doesn't listen to his mother.

I know that he already inspires greatness in others. He inspires it in me. Every good decision I have ever made have been for and because of him. He asked me to quit smoking a couple of years ago. I quit cold turkey for the final time. He told me he's afraid I'm going to die from being too fat. I started my life changing get healthy journey for him. I'm going back to school so that he can have a better life.

He is my sun, my moon, my stars, my whole damn universe. He is the best thing I have ever done.

No comments: