Friday, July 19, 2013

Sparkling Vampires vs Buffy the Vampire Slayer

If the Buffyverse and Twilight collided how would Buffy react to sparkly vampires? What are Joss whedon's thoughts on the series? These are the things I wonder about while I am driving.

I Googled it (remember this is essential to my writing process) and I found a cool video and short article here http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/08/06/joss-whedon-twilight/
You can go watch it on your own. I'm gonna do my own thing. I did watch it and it's worth the 53 seconds seeing Joss be Joss.

I suppose I should explain who Joss Whedon is to the uninitiated. Joss is a god in the world of movies and TV. I've been sitting here trying to come up with another way of describing him but I just can't. He wrote Toy Story and The Avengers. He created Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly among other things. Google the man he will blow your mind.

One of Joss's main themes is very strong female characters. The first issue I see Joss having with Twilight is with Bella. She is a bit of a whiny twit through 3 1/2 books. I won't bore you with my rant about that. I'll save it for another post and bore you there. Buffy would chew her up and spit her out. Buffy had to kill her boyfriend in order to save the world and she didn't go off the deep end. She did get a little gloomy and had an attitude but come on wouldn't you? And then when Angel came back from hell and left her for her safety and the safety of the world, she not only kept going but saved the world again. She saved the world a lot.

I think if Buffy ever ran across a vampire that sparkled she would fall down and hurt herself from all the laughing. She is The Slayer. She also has her inner circle The Scoobies. She is surrounded by super powerful people. The ones that are normal people have more than once proven they are incredibly brave. Buffy and the gang have stopped powerful demons and even a god. In the end they even stop the source of all evil. Something tells me sparkling and being really fast aren't going to get them anywhere. Buffy would have them dusted in seconds.

Obviously Joss enjoys the romance of the Twilight series. He doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the vampirism of them. Vampirism being a word I made up to describe the level of fear a vampire inspires. Edward is of course the worst. That whole brooding, whining, tragic thing doesn't inspire fear. It does make me want to smack him. And as pretty as Edward is he is nothing compared to Angel.

The Twilight vampires would be little more than a footnote in the Buffyverse. Probably used as an amusing plot point and nothing more. Buffy 1 Twilight 0



No comments: