Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review VS Book Report

I was thinking about doing a book review as a blog post. Then I started thinking, cause you know that's something I do, isn't a book review really just a grown up version of a book report? If that is true why am I okay with doing a book review but despised book reports.

I decided to head to good old Google. (I'm hoping if I mention them enough they will start throwing money at me all willy-nilly) I Googled book review and I got this:

book review 
Web definitions
a critical review of a book (usually a recently published book).
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I Googled book report, it gave me the same information. I went to Wikipedia and typed in book report...it took me to book review. I typed it into Urban dictionary and it took me to Book. Not report or review, just book. I'm really not sure what to think about that Urban dictionary deal.

I thought about it a little more. I suppose the argument could be made that a book review are the true feelings of the writer rather than written in a way that someone else would want. I don't think that's true though because the majority of critics seem to base their feelings off of public opinion and what they think they SHOULD say versus what they WANT to say. I mean when was the last time you read a review that said, "Shakespeare bores me but I really dig those trashy romance novels." Personally I do that. I once wrote a book report about The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. The first line in the report said, 'This is the most boring book I've ever read, And since I've read well over a thousand books at this point I believe I am an expert." What can I say I was a mouthy kid and things haven't changed much since.

Speaking of which...I think it has become obvious that I can do 300 or more words on just about anything.

What have we learned in this very important debate? There is no difference!!! People are out there getting paid to write book reports. Legally! We aren't talking about shady deals where a T-Bird is buying reports from the nerdy guy who is selling them to buy a motorcycle to impress Michelle Pfeiffer. (That's Grease 2 in case you didn't know.) These people are writing them for legitimate publications like The New York Times and Entertainment Weekly. Shout out to Stephen King!


Oh what a world we live in...






No comments: