Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Your Choice

I tell people all the time that life is all about choices. You may not like that choice but you always have a choice. This is actually a lesson I learned from the movie Dangerous Minds when I was fifteen. It is so true.

Let's think about someone who was in a concentration camp. Truly living a nightmare. There are no good choices in a situation like that. But, there are choices. There's not even necessarily a right or wrong choice. You can choice whether to stand up and fight the guards, in which case you are probably going to die. Or you can go along with what the guards say, in which case you may die as well. Who is to say which is the right or even better choice. The point is there is a choice.

A man is in a car accident. He is paralyzed from the waist down. He could stay home and live a quiet life. Or he could go out and become a professional wheelchair rugby player. Because he has a choice.

I had a choice. I could have stuck with the norm. I could have stayed with my comfortable fairly well paying job. But, I made the choice to try for something better. Yes it's going to be hard and time consuming. I may even fail. But, I made a choice.

Every second of every moment of every day is about choices./You make the choice to get out of bed. You make the choice to have coffee with your eggs. Your choices no matter how insignificant they may seem lead us to the person you are today. What if your choice to take an extra 30 seconds to eat a piece of toast kept you from being in a car accident that would have led you to become a world class wheelchair rugby player.

Our choices determine who we are. If you don't like that person you have no one to blame but yourself. Your choices led you here. What choice will you make?

No comments: