Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Pledge of Allegiance

I saw this on Facebook. This makes me angry.  All of these types of shaming posts make me angry. Angry enough to actually do research. Here's what I found.

1. Under God was not put into the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954. 20 years later Americans were spitting on members of our military when they came home from Vietnam.

2. The United States Constitution does not mention God. It does however give us the right to religious freedom. Our country was founded because of people who were escaping religious persecution.

I am a Christian. I believe in the one God. I do not believe that my religion is better than anyone else's religion. We, as a free country, have the right to worship however we please. Trying to shame other people in any way is the exact opposite of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Saying that you don't respect our military because of your religious beliefs is showing disrespect for our military. 

There are men and women of all religions, as well as atheists, who fight for our country. Men and women who make the ultimate sacrifice so that Americans can make asinine comments about respect.

No comments: