Tuesday, August 13, 2013

MOOOOOM You're Humiliating ME!

My son will be a teenager by the end of this month. The closer he gets to his birthday the more of an embarrassment I become to him. I actively encourage this by being me. Which means as embarrassing as possible. Because I'm goofy and have no shame.

About a year ago my mother (who also has no shame), my son, and I went to see Footloose at the movie theater. My mom and I were singing the songs and dancing up the aisles at the end. My poor poor preteen son was so embarrassed. He tried his best to pretend he didn't know the crazy women. We wouldn't allow that to happen and pulled him in to our shenanigans. The therapy bills will be worth it.

This past weekend we went to see another movie. We watch a lot of movies. When we are in public he doesn't want me to hug him or kiss him or hold his hand or any other gross mom stuff that could potentially cause him to look even remotely uncool in the eyes of complete strangers. I think he gets this fear from his aunt cause it sure didn't come from me. Thanks for ruining my kid sis.

OK back on topic. So he doesn't want me to hug him or whatever. But when the lights went down he held my hand through the whole movie. When I started sobbing uncontrollably (those animated movies are sneaky you have to watch out for them) he put his arm around me to make sure I was OK. Then when the lights came up and we went for ice cream he acted like I didn't exist again.

I love the fact that he is growing up but that he still loves his mom so much. Even if he doesn't want anyone else to know.

No comments: