Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Dawn: Kiki's Story


The year is 3059. Zombies have taken over the world. For the last 20 years we have lived like savages. Only the strong and cunning have survived. There is a small group of women who fight the hordes. My name is Kiki and I am the leader of those women. We, and other groups like ours around the world, are fighting against them. Our goal is to rid the world of zombies. And we have a plan.

Unfortunately our group is not comprised of fighting experts. We do each have our specific skill sets though. One of our ladies, Red, is a genius. She built a time machine. From films that we have been able to unearth, we discovered a time of mighty warriors. Those warriors were called “cowboys.” We recently brought some of these cowboys to our time and have been acclimating them to the world we live in. It is time to go on the offensive in this war.

The head cowboys name is Sam. Sam and I are planning on storming the zombie headquarters. You see, the zombies were created by a virus that was created in a lab. A lab that was hidden in Portage, Pennsylvania. It is the zombie Mecca. Eventually they all congregate here. Who would have ever expected the zombie apocalypse to start in Pennsylvania? I guess that was the whole idea.

We believe that the antivirus is in that lab. The plan is to fight through the zombies, break into the lab, steal the antivirus, and release it into the atmosphere. The theory is that it will kill the virus along with the host bodies. This is unfortunate but those people have been dead for a long time. Sounds easy right? I wish.
Zombies are active 24/7. They do not have the basic human need of sleep. Their only driving force is killing. This means that no matter when we attack we will be fighting an army of zombies. So…we attack at dawn. Why dawn? Because, if we die we will die with the sun rising. Sam and his men are in charge of firepower. The women will be doing the stealing and releasing. Red built some sort of device that can be used to propel the antivirus into the air. I don’t know how it works. I didn’t ask.

Dawn. Sam’s bunch sneak from bush to tree to get as close to the zombies as possible. One of them is spotted and all of the zombies are alerted that new fun has begun. The air is pierced with the sounds of bullets and screams. Not just screams of pain. The cowboys scream out what they call “war whoops.” I watch as a cowboy is literally torn limb from limb.

My women take off running for the laboratory. My special skill set happens to be breaking and entering. The zombies have never figured out how to get into a locked building but I have. When we are inside we head for the research area.

Red boots up the computer system. The rest of us stand at the ready, waiting. We wait either for death or victory. Maybe both. Red triumphantly yells that she found the antivirus. But, there’s a catch. Once it has been taken out of refrigeration it must be released within 10 minutes. The longer it is out the less chance it has to work. Also, it obviously must be released outside.

I go to the front door and manage to get Sam’s attention to let him know what is happening. Zombies have come out of the woodwork and we are outnumbered at least a hundred to one. He looks at me and says, “Do what you have to and we’ll do what we can.” 

The women run out of the facility circling Red as they go. We are immediately attacked by zombies. As we kick, punch, bite, and hair pull Red sets up what looks like a neon pink miniature rocket. She presses the launch button just as the zombie horde breaks through our lines of defense.

I watch the rocket streak into the air with one eye as I watch all of the people left on Earth that I care about being torn apart with the other. I pass out right before the rocket explodes deploying it’s cargo into the atmosphere.

Three months later.

            I survived the battle that day. Barely. I’m short a couple of limbs and my face is permanently mangled but I lived to see the zombies destroyed. It took about a month for the antivirus to travel the world. It will take the world much longer to recover. There were few survivors of our battle. The cowboys who survived were sent back to their time. Red made it and she is in charge of the research facility that we broke into. She is developing a vaccine to keep this from ever happening again. I don’t know what I will do now. All I know is, I will start every day with the dawn.

No comments: