Sunday, March 23, 2014

Group dynamics

This is my first Sociology assignment.

I am a 33 year old white female, a single mom, a nurse, a student, a sister/aunt/daughter, and a Christian. At 33 years old I am beginning into the portion of my life where my grandparents are dying, my parents are starting to have major health problems, and I have to start facing my own mortality. As a Caucasian in the Midwest I am similar to most of the people around me, without a particular culture or heritage. Being female means living with the stereotypes that people place on women. I am considered to be weak or ignorant by some people. As a single mom I have to play the roles of father and mother. As a nurse I hold the health and lives of people in my hands. As a student I am expected to strive for academic excellence. As a sister/aunt/daughter I am looked to by my family for support and help. As a Christian, society looks at me to be a good role model and to not mess up.

All of these things work together to put a tremendous load of responsibility on my shoulders. At any given moment of any given day someone is looking to me for answers, for a helping hand, for food, or for one of another plethora of things that they need. Instead of making me angry or bitter, this has made me into a stronger person who can, and will, face whatever challenges come my way. This doesn’t always mean that it’s going to be easy or enjoyable. It will however be worth it.

If I imagine I were to be the opposite of who I am I would be a minority, male, married with a wife but no children, a businessman, a teacher, an only child with no parents, and an atheist. Let’s say as a minority I were African American I imagine that I would feel somewhat out of place in the Midwest where seeing someone else that looked like me would be a rare thing. A black face in a sea of white. As a male I would still have to deal with some of the stereotypes but they would tend to be more positive. I would be considered competent and able. I can’t even fathom what it would be like in a world without my son. He is my world, every decision I make is based on his best interests. A wife probably wouldn’t be happy with my already full schedule. As a businessman I wouldn’t necessarily be in the position of helping people like I am now. I have actually thought about going into teaching when I get a master’s degree so teaching is not outside the realm of my imagination. As an only child with no parents who would I go to with my problems and for support? Who would I laugh with? Who would know me best because they had always been with me? As an atheist there wouldn’t be a guiding hand in my life. Something larger than me to be there in good times and bad.


I think I’ll stay me.

No comments: