Thursday, June 27, 2013

Knowing my audience

     Last week we played twenty questions in English Comp. The idea being to get to know everyone a little bit better. I feel like the questions and answers were fairly typical of the values in this part of the country. Although, honestly, I have to wonder how many people were "playing it safe" since this was a class assignment.  I saw this assignment as more of a sociological experiment rather than a meet and greet.
 
      I personally found the favorite quote post to be the most revealing. Since the majority of quotes are humorous or inspiring there isn't a right or wrong answer. If I say my favorite quote is "Remember to be yourself...unless you suck" by Joss Whedon there isn't a lot of room for getting upset. The only people I see getting upset are the people who suck and they needed a wake up call anyway.

     With questions like what are you thankful for I think there's a little more judgement going into how people read your answer. I mean most people are going to say I'm thankful for my family because there are societal expectations. If you say "Screw my family I'm thankful for chocolate!!" people will probably think you have all kinds of problems. Not the least of which is that you seem to have some some anger issues. And that you might be addicted to chocolate. They have programs for those sort of things.

     I do think all in all there are a ton of family values in our class. There was a resounding over all theme of family. Our family's being the place we feel the most at home. Because home is where the heart is. Not that pile of brick and glass you sleep in.

     I did come to the conclusion that our class aka my audience to know has a very well developed sense of humor. This will impact my writing in that I can be just a little edgier and push the envelope just a little bit further. I look forward to it.

No comments: