Friday, June 28, 2013

Can you hear the beat?


I Believe In Marching to the Beat of My Own Drummer

            I believe in marching to the beat of my own drummer. This includes but is not limited to:
•          doing what I believe is right even if it isn't popular.
•          standing up for the little guy
•          using my God given skills to help others
•          believing in things with every fiber of my being
•          never being embarrassed
•          never being shy
•          running headfirst into situations that others run from
•          jumping off the cliff and dealing with the consequences
•          always dealing with the consequences of my own actions and not blaming others
•          equality for everyone
•          accepting people for who they are as long as it doesn't hurt themselves or others
•          I always end up on my feet even if I fall flat on my face and have to climb back up again
•          being willing to die for the people I love and the things I believe in
            I am an individual. What does that mean to me? Some might say I am a rebel. OK in reality some HAVE said I am a rebel. I don’t consider myself to be a rebel though. To me a rebel is someone who does things solely for the purpose of being rebellious, to gain attention. Which I think is also most peoples definition of an individual as well. Most think of an individual as someone who dresses differently. I once heard someone say that individuality is the new conformity. To me being an individual means following my personal code of ethics and honor. Whether or not it is popular or in some cases legal.
 My personal code of honor and ethics states that I do what I believe is right regardless of the consequences. I also believe in always dealing with the consequences of my decisions and actions personally. I will not put that at anyone else’s feet. A doctor I used to work for always said if I was ever going to get into trouble as a nurse it would be from being a patient advocate. In other words standing up for the little guy.   
            I can’t stand bullies. I could give you multiple examples of standing up against bullies for other people. I think the most classic and dramatic instance happened when I was eleven. My disabled nine year old brother was being beaten up by three thirteen year old boys. I threw myself into the fray to protect my brother. Yes I walked away without a scratch while they were hurting but that’s not the point. I didn’t know going in to that fight that I would be okay. All I knew was that my brother was in trouble and I have no problem dying for the people that I love.
That stringent code involves equality for all people. Right now I stand for marriage equality. Fifty years ago I would have fought to stop segregation and Jim Crow laws. A hundred years ago I would have been a suffragette. 250 years ago I would have fought for the freedom of our country. I accept people for who they are. That is what our country was founded on. As long as you aren’t hurting yourself or others we are cool.
I was born to be a nurse. I am not a nurse because it is a job or a means to earn a paycheck. I am a nurse because it is who I am. I am a nurse twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. My friends always laugh about coming to me with their “Am I and/or my kid dying” questions. That’s even what they call them now.
            I don’t believe in being shy or embarrassed. I think it is a huge waste of time. I have never met anyone that has ever gained anything by being a shrinking violet. I suppose that goes along with running headfirst into situations that other people run from. My friend said the other day that I dominate and others hesitate. But, that is a double edged sword. More times than I can count I have been in a situation where I have jumped off the cliff and dealt with the consequences. I have been knocked down flat on my face. Bruised, battered, and broken metaphorically and literally.  There is not one situation that has or will keep me down. I am a fighter. A survivor.

            When I follow this list of personal beliefs I can go to bed every night with a smile on my face.  After all “Well behaved women seldom make history.”

No comments: